Saturday, January 23, 2010

How do I clip my dogs nails, I have clippers, but I need help??

I have the weird clippers with the toe guard, but how do you know how far back you can cut the nail?


Is the whole thing just nail, or is there flesh in part of it that I would cut?


Please and thank youHow do I clip my dogs nails, I have clippers, but I need help??
I won't use the guillotine kind, which is what you have, becasue you can't really see where to cut. t makes it more difficult.





Ask a groomer or the vet tech to show you the proper way to do it, and practice while you are there, so you really learn - they should let you do a couple under supervision. That way, you will have already done it when you get home.





I stand over my dogs- frontwards for the front paws, and and backwards for the back paws- and bend their paws back like a blacksmith would a horse's legs. That way, you are looking at their nails from the bottom up, which is where you want to cut - it also give you a better view of the quick, which is the live part of the nail that you don't want to cut.





I like the nail clippers taht resemble the ones made for cats - made by Master Tools. They give you the best view, and cut where you really are aiming.





It's far better to take the dog to the vet or groomer, though, if you really are not confident - it's so easy to get them too short, and horribly painful- and it's not that expensive.How do I clip my dogs nails, I have clippers, but I need help??
Don't clip your dogs nails if you have to ask how. Unless you are a proffessional groomer, vet tech, or veterinarian, you shouldn't be clipping nails. The reason why is because the quick could be cut or your dog might jump and get a whole nail lopped off and be in some serious paid, possibly get an infection, take your dog to a groomer and they'll clip them for about 5 bucks, it's definately better than the 250 dollar vet bill you'd pay doing it yourself!
If you look at the underside of your dog's nail, you will be able to see the quick -the part that will bleed if you clip it.


If you've never clipped before, ask someone who has to come help you, or ask your vet for a quick lesson. ours does this for free.


when you're clipping your dog's nails, be sure to have some cornstarch or quickstop on hand in case you do nick their quick to stop the blood. this is a highly vascular area, and they can bleed a LOT.
I totally thought the same thing. You have to check out the vein in your dog's claw. If your dog has black claws, take them to a groomer or vet. They are professionals and if you get a good one, they will show you how to do it. It relieves your stress. Your dog will pick-up on the fact that you are not very comfortable about clipping the nails and it makes the whole experience more stressful on your dog and you!
Trimming your dog's nails is not just a part of grooming, but is important for your dog's health as well. It is important to remember that untrimmed nails can cause a variety of problems including broken nails that are painful and bleed profusely. In some cases, nails will actually curl and grow back into the dog's feet.
I definately agree with Mel H, though I would ask the groomer to show you how and maybe ask to try while there.


If you're not comfortable, just pay a groomer. I clip my own dogs' nails, but they have clear nails so I can SEE the quick, and I have had a vet show me how to do it.
My advice is to get a professional groomer to show you exactly how to do this. It is not always so easy to do, depending on the dog. The dew claw needs trimming also. Don.t try by yourself, get professional advice.
I WAS SO SCRED OF THE SAME THING,SO MY VET SAID CUT ONLY ALTTLE 2 THE PINK ON THEIR NAILS,IF BY ANY CHANCE U CUT 2 SHORT LIKE I DID,HURRY AND GET FLOUR,OR BABY POWER,OR BAKING SODA,BUT ANY KIND OF POWER,STICK THEIR PAW IN IT TILL IT STOPS BLEEDING.
Take your dog to a groomer or vet and let them show you how. Especially if your dog has black nails. They will only charge you a little and its worth it to know the correct way
YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL. FIRST LOOK AT THE PINK THAT YOU CAN SEE FROM THE NAIL. ITS CALLED A QUICK. TRY NOT TO CUT THAT AND DO IT SLOWLY SO YOU WONT HURT THE DOGGIE.

No comments:

Post a Comment