Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How do I get my dog to cooperate while I cut his nails?

He cannot stop moving around. When I give him a treat or toy to keep him busy, he grabs it and runs with it instead of sitting still and letting me cut his nails.How do I get my dog to cooperate while I cut his nails?
I had the same problem with my dog, but now I've started using a new method. Kneel down on the floor holding your dog, open a big bag of kibble and just allow your dog to keep snacking until you have finished cutting it's nails. What happens with most dogs is that they are so tuned into the food infont of them, that they won't care much about you and the nail clipper. But be sure to take the food bag out before you take out the nail clipper. Many dogs can sense that you are about to cut its nails, or do something it doesn't like, so distract it with food in order to keep it from wimping out. Hope it helps!How do I get my dog to cooperate while I cut his nails?
I have the same problem my dog is an American Staffordshire Terrier that weighs abou 75lbs now so you could imagine the struggle we have to do his nails he hates it.. Hes almost a year old and we have had him since he was 4 months old I have clipped his nails since he was a puppy to make sure he wouldnt have this problem.. But he hates it I take a lead put it around his neck and tie the other end to something strong and muzzle him so he wont bite the clippers and I get them done but once I'm finished I am so tired lol..
It all depends on the age of the dog and his trust in you. If he's young and rushing about, it's unlikely he needs his nails clipped anyway. Most dogs with regular, normal walking on concrete/hard surfaces will wear their claws down naturally and won't need their nails clipped, it's only when the dog doesn't get out much, or is elderly, they need to have their nails clipped.





Nail clipping is not really for the amateur, you could easily clip too short and into the 'quick' which could cause septacemia. Get your vet to advise you on how to do it.
I find that if I put the dog on a table they think they are at the vet and cooperate a little more. One thing I was told was to handle your dog's paw more often so they get used to it so when the clipping time comes they are a little less suspicious. However, my dog never cares much for nail clipping. Just be patient but intent on getting the job done.
Well my dog does the same thing, but with a little reserch I found out it is because in his nail, there is a little pocket of blood. and when you use a nail clipper, it can hit that pocket of blood.





There is a new product called the Peticure that sort of grinds the nail down. My dog loves it and now he doesn't mind getting his nails cut.
Try playing with his feet and nails for a wk before, so he gets used to you being around his feet. If that doesn't work take him to your vet and have them do it. They usually don't charge much especially if the vet techs do it. They other place is Petco. I personally would rather go to my vet.
I had that same problem. Maybe if you gave him a treat that took him a while to eat like with my dog I fill his Kong up with treats and while he's eating/playing I try to do it quick. I don't know if that helps, but good luck!
You may have to get a friend to hold the dog until he figures out what you are up to. Now would be a good time to start working on a 'shake' or 'show me your feet' command. It works like a charm.





Good luck!
Do a search on youtube for Canines in Action's film about Tucker's Nail Trim, a great example of how clicker training helped a very scared dog learn to tolerate nail trimming.





www.fearfuldogs.com
what my dad does is that we have a big dog so he sits on him but if your dog is small get its leash and tie it to something heavy then take its paws and clip them
has he ever started to bleed before while you were cutting its nails and also if he hasn't how old was he when you got him
I'm sure a vet or groomer will do them for a reasonable price.
try to hold his head and then he should cooperate
take him to the vet , cheap and easier on you

No comments:

Post a Comment